Friday, December 9, 2011

Today is a gift

Today I was inspired to share a story about a gift from my daughter, Ava.
Her school had a little fundraiser and we sent in money with her,
a list of who she wanted to shop for, how much, and then she made the selections.

Her gift giving list: 
Mommy
Daddy
Jonah
the little boy who doesn't have toys (Guillermo, our sponsor child)
Maddie (our dog)

This morning, as we got her backpack ready, she remembered her purchases, and even though
the gifts were meant to be for Christmas, and I encouraged her to wait, she just couldn't. 

I closed my eyes....and, surprise!!



I mean it's a butterfly broach…genuine 18K gold plated…
COME ON! That alone wins an adorable award.

Later on, after all the morning rush settled down,
I opened the bag and looked through her purchases. 


I was so touched, and tickled at the same time. Laugh or cry?
Daddy clearly got the Jets hologram-thingy. She doesn't know the Jets are not his team, but she knows he likes football. Jonah got the wigglies book. He likes books, things that are wiggly, and…well, he himself IS wiggly. Maddie got the wind-up mouse. Our dog chases anything that scurries. Mops, brooms, vacuums, feet, mopeds, rakes, skateboarders, squirrels. Anything.
Guillermo got the bobbly headband, bug jumper, and dino. A few things for the boy who has none.

I took a moment and really acknowledged the thought she put into her selections for everyone. I so love that it was accomplished with her 5 year old sensibilities: fun, humor and beauty.

My broach will take home amongst all my most beloved jewelry treasures,
and I will wear it and feel the gratitude in my heart for my little girl. 

As I sat down prepared to share this fun little friday post, I read a blog I follow, Vintage is for Lovers, and had to share this with you also. It seems pretty appropriate to include in today's planned post. Samantha, the author, is so inspiring to me. I love her easy way of writing and I am usually smiling at the end of her posts. I don't know her, but I have a feeling she will approve my efforts to pay it forward. 

Her post was about gratitude, and she shared a video that I am going to share with you now.
Take 10 minutes now. That's all. Put your headphones on at work, take a seat at home, watch while you ride the train, grab your family or friends, just take the 10 minutes and enjoy.

I wont reveal too much about it, other than that this is a gift. Today IS a gift. Share the gift with someone if you are so inspired, as I was. I hope it sends you sailing into your weekend. 






6 comments:

  1. Rebecca, your writtings really spire us, the stories you post of your kids make me laugh, and the above post made me cry. Keep going with the blog it is an inspiration to all of us who read it. Have a great weekend.

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan, THANK YOU. I can't tell you how grateful I am for your comment. I'm so glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your LOVE!!! I am incredibly grateful for all your lovely comments on my blog and most importantly, for your love and support! xo Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you guys and miss your companionship every day. Thank you for sharing this. It makes me feel that much closer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Samantha! THANK YOU! Made my day to see your comment :) Love, love, love your blog. Great joy of mine to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, sweet Sunshine! We miss you all too! XO

    ReplyDelete